If you were able to attend our special event at ArtPadSF last year, you know how unique and fun it was. It was unlike any other event we’ve ever participated in, and we were thrilled to be involved. The event was a festive gathering of BRAF’s community of supporters, Burning Man’s art lovers, and the bay area’s leading art galleries and art scene. The results were magic!
This year’s ArtPad Experience will be even more creative, inspiring and exquisite – Please Join Us!
ArtPad 2011, with the Loyd Family Players. Photo by Court Leve.
Mark your calendars and save the date for another inspiring evening of entertainment, community and outstanding art! Once again, we’ll join forces with ArtPadSF to bring you another spectacular evening of entertainment, art and radical self-expression.
You’ll enjoy a sampling of some of the many artists and performing troupes that make the Bay Area such a dynamic and vital center for art and culture. Stay tuned for announcement of the evening’s line up of entertainers and participating artists!
Bay Area artists set the stage for this exciting event with site specific and multimedia performances, interactive art, live music and DJs with original scores and mixes created especially for the occasion.
Announcing a very special live sculpting performance by Marco Cochrane of model Laura Kimpton. Don’t miss this!
Celebrating the creative contributions of and with performances by:
- The Carpetbag Brigade collaborating with Teatro Taller of Columbia – By synthesizing acrobatic stiltwalking, butoh dance, contact improvisation, and physical theater The Carpetbag Brigade has pioneered a unique approach and corresponding technique that has resulted in 10 original feature-length performances and tours to Europe, Latin America, Canada and throughout the U.S. Now based in the Bay Area, they are just back from performing a new work in Columbia. We are especially fortunate to have them creating a unique collaboration with Teatro Taller of Bogota, Columbia for this very special ArtPad evening, who is debuting their work for the first time in San Francisco! (www.carpetbagbrigade.com and www.teatrotallerdecolombia.com)
- Dex Stakker – (Opel/Opulent Temple) – Dex Stakker - Spinning underground breaks, slammin’ electro, electro house and aggressive progressive at numerous community events and countless fundraisers. (www.dexstakker.com)
- DJ ICON (Illeven Eleven Records) – DJ ICON is an iconic figure in the dance music industry. With a career spanning over a decade, she has captivated audiences the world over with her magnetic stage presence and signature bass-heavy vocal-infused cross-genre DJ sets consisting of Breaks, Electro House and Dubstep. It’s no wonder she’s been dubbed one of the leading ladies of this domain! Her accolades include stellar reviews for her productions on Illeven Eleven Recordings, a spot in Shejay’s “Top 100 Female DJs”, being voted one of San Francisco’s best DJs in Nitevibe’s “Top 10 DJ Dreamteam” Poll, and touring throughout the US, Canada, Europe and Asia. She has been a generous supporter of the Bay Area music and arts scene and is much loved throughout the community. We are pleased to celebrate her work as a Bay Area artist extraordinaire and expect big things to keep coming from this driven and versatile performer. (www.djicon.com)
- Gamelan X - Drawing musical inspiration from Indonesian, Balkan, African, Indian and American traditions, Gamelan X combines complex interlocking rhythms and sinewy melodies into an entirely new and visceral groove experience that excites and entrances the world. (www.GamelanX.com)
- JoeJoe (Brass Tax) – Playing fidget, electro, “electro-hop”, breaks, drum ‘n ‘bass (soundcloud.com/joejoetheclown)
- Kerensa DeMars – A San Francisco-based dance artist known for her creative synthesis of Flamenco and Tribal style dance, Kerensa has toured internationally, performing at London’s Royal Festival Hall, the Teatro Calderon of Madrid, the Tivoli Theater in Barcelona and at San Francisco’s Fillmore Theater, Yerba Buena Center and Palace of Fine Arts. She recently received a grant from the Azahar Dance Foundation to present Zahara, a collaboration of Flamenco and Moroccan music and dance at the Cowell Theater, and will stage her new work “Zambra Flamenca” in San Francisco in June 2012. (www.kerensademars.com)
- KUNST-STOFF: A site specific dance performance specially conceived for ArtPad by internationally acclaimed and local artistic treasure, KUNST-STOFF Arts. (www.kunst-stoff.org)
- Leslie Goldman and David Korn – Opera – Leslie Goldman joins us from the beautiful islands of Hawaii and is excited to participate in the vital art scene here. She was trained in Classical Voice at the Manhattan School of Music in NYC and has bought to life such roles as Puccini’s Musetta, Mozart’s Susanna, Donizetti’s Adina, Britten’s Tytania…..to name a few. David Korn holds a Master’s degree from the Manhattan School of Music in opera performance. He has had the privilege of singing with such companies as the New York Philharmonic, the New York City Opera and the Seattle Opera among others. Now residing in San Francisco, David continues to explore his love of the arts in musical performances and design.
- Trio Garufa – Trio Garufa has performed across Argentina, Canada and the US (Including a recent performance in Chicago Symphony Hall). Trio Garufa performs Classic Argentine Tangos from the golden era (30′s- 50′s) as well as Argentine Folkloric Music, modern Tangos from Piazzolla, Electro-Tango as well as original compositions. The Trio’s music is exciting, virtuosic, and rooted in the dance. They are the only Tango ensemble in the US to have performed extensively in the Milongas (Tango Dance Clubs) of Buenos Aires. The group includes Guillermo Garcia, guitar, (Argentina) and Adrian Jost, bandoneon (Switzerland) and Sascha Jacobsen, string bass, (California). (www.triogarufa.com)
- Trio Zincalo - Trio Zincalo play a diverse range of music from different parts of the world. Argentine Tangos, Brazilian Choros and Bossa Novas, French Gypsy Jazz, American Jazz, Italian Wedding Music, and Bulgarian Freilachs, and, every now and then, a modern pop song set to sound like one of the aforementioned styles! (www.facebook.com/pages/Trio-Zincalo)
…and much more! Stay tuned!
ArtPadSF, a provocative, new, 21st century boutique and art fair, invites San Francisco’s world-renowned museums, galleries, arts institutions, and artists to transform the Phoenix Hotel into an alternative venue for art. The hotel is reinvented as a vibrant and visionary community of prominent international and local artists.
ArtPadSF occurs concurrently with other mainstream arts fairs but, in contrast, focuses on promoting emerging artists, and on establishing San Francisco as a prominent center of contemporary art. This festival celebrates the distinct character of the bay area’s creative spirit.
ArtPadSF offers art enthusiasts and seasoned collectors alike the opportunity to discover current trends and artistic practices presented by local, national and international art galleries and artists.
Recognizing the need for an independent art fair to further engage and create new audiences for Bay Area arts, Chip Conley, Founder of Joie De Vivre Hotels, along with ArtPad director, Maria Jenson, debuted ArtPadSF at the legendary Phoenix hotel May 19th, 2011.
Thank you to our partners in producing this wonderful event:
- Levi Strauss & Co.
- Joie De Vivre Hotels
- Chambers Restaurant