FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 28, 2013
Contact: Tomas McCabe
Phone: (415) 626-1248
Email: civicartsproposals @blackrockarts.org
*********REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS*********
Request for Proposals: June 30, 2013
Submission deadline: October 15, 2013, 5:00 PM PST
Notification Date: December 15, 2013
Installation of artwork: June 2014
About the Project
The Black Rock Arts Foundation (BRAF) invites you to submit a proposal for our new project “Big Art for Small Towns.” A project of BRAF’s Civic Arts Program, Big Art for Small Towns seeks to share the cultural and economic benefit of public art with rural towns in Nevada and beyond.
Big Art for Small Towns is funded by generous private donors, in-kind contributions from the City of Fernley, and by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) Our Town grant.
This two-phase project will happen over the course of two years. In Phase 1, the City of Fernley, Nevada, the Burning Man Project and BRAF are working together to install two pieces of large-scale sculpture in a new city-owned park in Fernley. These works are scheduled to be installed either the winter of 2013 or spring of 2014, pending park completion.
This Request for Proposal is for the design and fabrication of the second work of art (Phase 2), to be installed in June, 2014. As the Lead Artist for Phase 2, you will work with local residents to create an original public artwork that reflects Fernley’s character, heritage, and culture. You will also work with the City of Fernley and BRAF to create additional project programming including a series of four public lectures, and at least one public workshop. These should incorporate youth learning opportunities focused on the community-building benefits of public art. Other programming may include exhibitions, performances or other art displays, hosted at the public art park.
For the Phase 2 project, the Black Rock Arts Foundation is seeking proposals for the creation of a work of art that:
- Suits the culture and interests of the Fernley community
- Is collaboratively designed and created with local residents and established community organizations
- Can withstand outdoor exhibition
- Individual artists, artist collectives, organizations, groups and established 501c3 non-profits are all eligible to apply.
- Preference will be given to artists residing in the Fernley, Nevada area, or to artists who are able to travel to or reside in Fernley during the creation phase of the work, but all may submit proposals.
- Past BRAF grant recipients may submit proposals
The total maximum budget for this project is $75,000. This will include your artist’s fee, transportation and travel costs, engineering, insurance, materials and other fabrication costs, trucking of artwork, workshop and event costs, equipment rental, installation costs and any other project related costs.
Funding will be released in installments according the project’s requirements.
- Project description:
- Please describe your proposed project by answering the questions in the form below
- Please enter this invitation code on the form below: Fernley 2013
- In addition to the completion of this form, please submit: at least three good quality digital images of either previous work or concept images for the proposed artwork
- When emailing these images, please submit a short description for each image, including the title of the artwork presented, year exhibited, exhibition location, etc.
- Please email these to civicartsproposals @blackrockarts.org
- Please submit a project budget, working with the total amount of $75,000, listing the projected cost for each of the expenses listed above
- Please email this to civicartsproposals @blackrockarts.org
To be considered for the project, please complete this form and email your images and budget no later than October 15, 2013.
Link to online proposal form: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dHRVZU5qRzFsR09BNWRsd0FzQW1ZSkE6MA